Thursday, November 22, 2012

Almond Mylk and Cookies

    Happy Thanksgiving! I knew that although I wanted to make a post today but I also knew that I would not have time to write one, so I wrote this post ahead of time for just this occasion. I am very excited that I actually thought ahead and prepared for the occasion! Anyone who really knows me knows that I end up being caught off guard, because I didn't plan ahead, all of the time. This is something that I have been working on for awhile now and let me tell you, the progress is slow but at least there is some progress finally. Praise the Lord for His help and patience!


     There are many recipes out there more almond mylk and they are a little different. These recipes call for anywhere from 1/4-1 1/2 cups of almonds blended with 1 1/2-4 cups of water, the measurements are all over the place. Well. I take that to mean that I should feel free to use whatever amounts that I want to. It said in one book that to make almond cream that you just reduce the amount of water. Well, that is very helpful! So, how much water you use is dependent only on how rich you want the mylk to be. This recipe is how I like my mylk and it is much cheaper then the recipes that call for larger amounts of almonds. There are 2 recipes below, as I do not like to waste expensive ingredients, and they are both awesome. I am going to make some sesame mylk soon but for now this is the mylk that we are drinking and loving. Hope that you enjoy it as much as we do!


Almond Mylk

  • 1/2-2/3 cup of soaked almonds
  • 6-8 cups of pure water
  • 6-8 dates
  • 1/2-1 inch of vanilla bean
  • a pinch of salt
      Put all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend well. Pour mylk into a nut mylk bag and  squeeze all of the yummy mylk out. Pour into a clean jar and refrigerate. Shake well before using as the mylk tends to separate. Save the almond pulp and look at the recipe below.









Macaroons 

  • leftover almond pulp
  • 2-4 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
  • maple syrup, to taste
  • a splash of vanilla
  • a pinch of salt, optional
     Mix all ingredients. Scoop mixture using a small cookie scoop and pack tightly, turn out into your hand and flatten slightly. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 2-6 hours, or until they are the texture that you like.

     These cookies are super yummy and you get to use the same ingredient twice! No wasting and the kids will love them, you will love them, too. Enjoy!

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment